Re: [opensuse] Bash terminal window misbehavior.
  • From: Steven Hess <flamebait@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 01:47:34 -0700
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM, DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/24/2012 08:17 AM, Steven Hess wrote:

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:20 PM, DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/24/2012 03:39 AM, Steven Hess wrote:

Every time I open up a terminal window it's opening as wide as my
screen.
What is the method to stop this automatic widening?

KDE 4.7.2 on openSUSE 12.1

(mine is 4.6.0 on 11.4 so not everything there may match what i have)

KDE offers several "terminal windows" by following Menu > Applications >
System > Terminal

that path on my system reveals: Konsole, LXTerminal, Terminal - Super
User
Mode, XTerm, and Yakuake

additionally there are the full screen terminals available using the key
combo Ctrl+Alt+F1 through F6..

as each has a differnt way to adjust size, please specify which..

dd

Konsole is the terminal application. It's the default terminal
application.

Konsole is one of several terminal applications default installed with KDE
and probably the easiest of all to fix the sizing "misbehavior":

grab a corner and size it the way you wish, then when finished close that
window...it _should_ (the next time you open it) pop up with exactly the
same size and location as it was last closed..

or, let me say that that is the behavior i see here...and, i think that has
been the default behavior for Konsole for a long while now..

otoh, if yours does not open as closed: there are controls that can be
adjusted--i don't think i have done anything to change mine, but maybe you
have and the result might therefore be as you describe..

the setting that _might_ [i say might because i don't know if you have
adjusted yours, or i adjusted mine] be causing the open each time at full
screen width might be accessed by right clicking the Konsole icon in the
corner of the header bar, and then selecting Advanced > "Special Window
Settings"

in mine, which causes it to open as closed:

Window tab: "Window settings for konsole" in 'Description:', "konsole" in
'Window Class (application type):', and "mainwindow#1" in 'Window role',
with both spinners set to 'Exact Match'

Window Extra tab has "Normal Window" highlighted and all other blanks grayed
over or blank

Geometry, Preferences and Workarounds tabs all have *none* of the items
checked/active..

[i don't believe you can cause the behavior described by clicking on Setting
in the Konsole's menu bar, or in the right click and select Configure Window
Behavior...there probably is, however be some setting bits in a config file,
somewhere (??)]

dd

This reopening in last closed window size is exactly what it is not doing.
I checked and very thing is as you described it in settings.

I even un-checked the box for windows sizing and closed Konsole and
reopened it and re-checked the sizing box each time resizing the
window before closing. It was to no avail. The window was stretched to
full screen width and still is.

I had never modified the windows behavior prior to this set I just tried.

This is why I am asking the list.

Steven