[opensuse] Re: openSUSE build & testing procedure and faulty pruning of builds causing build failures
Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 06:14:53AM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What it *sounds* like is that openSuSE is no longer a development
/ build environment -- that is supported to work to build it's own
RPM's.
Linda,

You are tilting a windmills and you know it.

openSUSE has moved to a new build paradigm and you are complaining the
old one no longer works and you can't use it to build the distro
pieces.

This paradigm you describe is the one we live for ... I do not know ... over 10
years now, at least for as long as I am with SUSE (10 years).

That rpmbuild works within a system was always optional.
Patches are welcome btw.
---
Could you point the sources and documentation for the tools
you use to produce binary & source RPM's, *OTHER* than rpmbuild?

What packages don't need to have rpmbuild installed in the
buildroot in order to build their RPM's?

Unless you show evidence to the contrary, I would submit
that rpmbuild is currently used to build rpm's as part of the OBS.

I don't think there has ever been any question whether or not
rpmbuild was used or supported.

The issue is about what is already installed in your
build environment. [Open]SuSE, if you remember, rarely used
BuildRequires before suse10.

Separate "-devel" packages weren't widely used if at all
sometime before 10 or 9. It was assumed they were included by installing
the product.

Only by stripping out what packages normally include not
including what the original "product/project" produces with it's
configure and make do you run into to these problems.

For that matter, it used to be that doc packages were usually
not separate either.

If OSC/OSB is required to build a distro, why is it not
included in the shipped distro binaries and source rpms?

What version of OSC/OSB is required to build each release:
11.1 => 12.2?

Is this documented and made available for each release?
If you don't ship the tools on the distro disks, then you are committing
to keeping them online. You may not support SuSE 9.0, However,
I don't believe the requirements for supplying the tools and sources
to build that release expire -- as the GPL doesn't say that sources
to binaries can be unavailable if it is more than 'n' years past their
initial release date.

That wouldn't be in the spirit of including (or making available)
all the sources and tools necessary to build something.

At what point did openSuse stop shipping complete sources to build
the distro, with the distro? I.e. at what point did you require obs/osc
to be the build environment?

If isn't already a GPL license issue, is could soon become
one if past distro build tools become no longer available.