Re: [opensuse] Re: openSUSE build & testing procedure and faulty pruning of builds causing rpmbuild failures
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:44:36 +0200
On Friday 20 July 2012 19:56:00 Linda Walsh wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
openSUSE has moved to a new build paradigm and you are complaining the
old one no longer works and you can't use it to build the distro
pieces.

---

I am complaining that one cannot use a standard suse
distro machine to do a build of the source packages anymore.

It's not about new and old. I get new versions of compiler make, even
samba uses a python tool instead of configure/make for samba4, but it
still builds on my local OpenSuSE12.1 system.

The source packages from OBS are not robust.

You have an extremely weird definition of robust. If by robust you mean "will
build no matter what is installed on the system during build" then I don't
think there exists any robust package anywhere.

Second, you are confusing two things: building a package, and running it.
Testing building with different environments is not merely a complete waste of
time, it is totally against all engineering principles and I really don't care
what your education is.

The built package on the other hand has to be tested against lots of different
things. This is where compatibility with other packages is actually important.
If you want to rebuild a package, good luck and have fun, but for SUSE's
packages, the only important things is that the built and shipped packages
work. If you find a package that doesn't *run* while another package is
installed, and it isn't listed as a conflict in the rpm metadata, this is a
very valid bug and will be fixed. The failing builds you mention, not so much

Anders