Re: [opensuse] Changing Yast behaviour
  • From: eddie <eddieleprince@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 23:19:05 +0100

On Thursday, 2012-07-19 at 16:04 +0100, eddie wrote:
I appreciate that some issues are not specifically "opensuse's" but is
there a way to set Yast to complete the installation of packages which
have been downloaded successfully and ignore any failed downloads. That
is one of the main things that irritate me. Yast did not use to work
that way, and as long as Yast reports failures that should be adequate.
There is no need to block installation of those packages which have been
successfully downloaded.
I think it is a feature, some installs can not be done unless all the
packages of the bunch are available. It depends on how the packagers
define their packages, not really on yast.

If that were the case then I wouldn't mind but I don't think so. I had forty
plus updates and because get_iplayer failed not one of the others were
installed even though they downloaded successfully. That to me is just plain
silly (or bad programming/design).

I've noticed it before and had to go back and deselect the failed package in
order to get the rest to install. Having deselected the failed package all
the others get installed. So why can't YaST just install the others and
report the failed ones; that's what I don't understand.

Anyway, rather than debate the wisdom or folly of such a design, I was just
wondering if there was an option somewhere that would allow for packages that
had been successfully downloaded to be installed whether or not there were
failed downloads. (I can understand and it makes sense when there are failed
dependencies or system-critical packages but not a wholesale block on
installations regardless of how trivial the failed packages are. Hey, but
then again, maybe I am wrong and Carlos, you are correct.).

Thanks
Eddie