Re: [opensuse] Need help: I found out where s2disk crashes.

On 2012-07-17 12:36, Dave Howorth wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
If as Jeff Mahoney said the culprit is a driver, and he suspected the

I read your conversation on opensuse-kernel. Depressing! :(

Yes... I thought we had finally found something, but no, we are at the same
point.

At least somebody else is interested, and you've eliminated one possible
source of the
problem. I can't suggest much to help apart from the obvious ways to localise
the
problem:

(1) see which other modules you can remove, either permanently or temporarily
(an expert
guesser like Jeff would be useful :)

I'm out of ideas myself.

(2) keep adding more printk's to find the place where it's actually crashing.

At this point I'm running the standard kernel, not my hacked one, as I was
getting nowhere,
and the path of removing modules is different and did not need those messages.

In some ways it's good that all the printks haven't changed the behaviour. It
makes it
seem more likely the problem is some data that has been corrupted whilst
you're working,
rather than something that is caused specifically when you hibernate. I
wonder if there
are any tools that can audit kernel data structures, or compile-time options
to add more
asserts() or other debugging options?

If I knew what program triggered the bad behaviour... What I use normally is
xterms,
thunderbird, firefox. I normally use the nvidia driver, but it crashes equally
with nouveau.
I also normally use vmplayer, but it crashes equally without: the two weeks or
so that I used
my modified kernel I was using noveau and refrained from starting vmplayer
(neither the
service nor the images). Libreoffice Y normally used, but also it crashes
without using it.

Add asserts to the kernel, yes, but I don't know what to check.

Maybe I have to use an experimental kernel from the 3.x series instead, if that
is possible
with 11.4; I know the evergreen people wanted to do that.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)