Re: [opensuse] Reiserfs (was ext4 vs btrfs)
El vie 13 jul 2012 18:44:42 CLT, Hans Witvliet escribió:
On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 03:36 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-07-13 03:07, Duaine Hechler wrote:

Well, I know it's a little passe, but I've been using reiserfs for
about 4 years and love it. The recovery is great ! And I've never had
it totally go belly up on me !

+1

But I had it gone belly up on me. And ext3, and xfs... all of them.
It is shame reiserfs is doomed, though.

Ok,

last couple of years i found out that i didn't make backup's in vain.
Both reiser, ext2, ext3, ext4 and xfs got beyond repairing (or would
take too much time to do it).

Yeah, neither filesystems or RAID are replacement of backups.

Regular PC hardware SUCKS, big time, top to bottom, from BIOSes to
harddisk firmware.
I cannot overemphasize this, not having backups is crazy.

So i'll guess btrfs will be no exception to the rule.

However, i've heard quite some impressive talks from SuSE representative
to dismiss btrfs as too dangerous. If it is still "experimental" those
guys wouldn't dare to include it into sles11sp2....

No, it is not "too dangerous" but "experimental" .

So as reiser gets end-of-life (no not hans reiser ;-) one starts to loke
around. Specially when doing a re-installation.

reiserfs development was stalled and dying long before the tragic events
ocurred.

I mean, some vague talks** at FOSDEM or so is one thing, but guys from
Nurnberg talking to customers with support contracts is quite something
else, not?

Well..money can buy you quick patches and support in cases thing go
kaput...

So the original question was not _if_ one should choose btrfs, but in
which case which filesystem should be used, knowing that each has its
own flaws...

** i lost track of how many time i heard that AFS was almost finished..

No such thing as finished software.. finalized software is dead, ready
to become part of museums and source of major pain.