Re: Re: [opensuse] Sick of this...
  • From: Noel Butler <noel.butler@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 13:29:31 +1000
On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 20:26 +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM, James Hatridge <James.Hatridge@xxxxxx> wrote:

So far you're the only one to give a real answer to this, thanks for that.
Do
you know if kmail has this option? I've not been able to find it. But this
still bring us back to the first question. Why does this list not keep up
with
the times.

Please read the responses on this issue. The mailing list programs
are not behind times. Text only mode is the setting. This is true
for *all* FOSS technical mailing lists that I am a member (openSUSE,
CentOS, Debian, bridge-utils, linux-kvm, openwrt, zeroshell, voyage
linux ......)

It has nothing to do with cheaper storage and/or faster bandwidth.

It does, that's the excuse we used to give 15 plus years ago, it just
stuck around, times change, hell, it was only late 2000's that I stopped
using pine for all mail/usenet :)

Whereas, HTML formatted messages are the norm in Web forums and you
will hardly see any pure text based discussions and that is OK for Web
forum as you view them in your web browser.

Ten years ago, when almost no one had anything faster than 56k then
it was understandable. But now even someone one out in the middle of no
where
Germany has at least DSL 2000 so this rule is silly. I'm on over 60 lists
and
am the owner of 4. This is the only list I have this problem with.

Not true Please see above.

Actually he is kinda right, just because the few lists you suggest don't
use it, thousands more do use it.

If the list used a list manager from this century, it can be configured
to convert HTML into TEXT avoiding pissing off users all the time.

Noel
(Who for nearly two decades was anal about html posters - but know even
I accept it is a reality and don't care - unless you send to our
helpdesk/abusedesk blah blah then we enforce text)