Re: [opensuse] KNetdump / Qtraffic successor?
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 04:58:37 Stefan Gofferje wrote:
Hi,

during KDE 1.x times, I loved to used knetdump to monitor what's going
on in my local network. Now I have some absurd traffic values on my
central server and I was looking for a tool which provides a similar
traffic display because that very easily identifies bandwidth-eaters.

I found the source for qtraffic but could get it to compile - well,
it's for Qt 2.2...

Does anybody know a program (for Linux/Opensuse, of course) which
provides a similar display output?

For those who don't know knetdump/qtraffic:
Those programs provided a "traffic view" which showed each network
node as a dot and then drew lines in different colors between the
nodes, the color representing the protocol, the width of the line
representing the bandwidth in use.

See
http://nisbach.de/knetdump/
http://nisbach.de/knetdump/ktrafficview.gif

And knetdump was written for qt1. Ubuntu seem to have compatibility libraries
for qt4 to provide backwards compatibility for qt1 apps (and probably qt2, but
I didn't google that) but a quick zypper se qt1 didn't turn up anything for oS
(but maybe I was searching for the wrong thing).

If there is nothing in any of the oS repositories (and I haven't checked OBS
either) then you may have to look upstream. There should be a way to compile
the qt1/qt2 apps on qt4 using a compatibility library I would have thought.
When you find it, please report back here because these look like very useful
tools.