Re: [opensuse] shazam like program for opensuse/linux
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:17:58 +0200
On Saturday 31 March 2012 21:02:26 Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

Is there any shazam-like music identification program for openSUSE/linux
that works? I tried midomi at this site but id did not work:
http://www.midomi.com/objects/midomiLandingVoiceSearch.swf

Two things, first shazam is available for linux. Specifically the version of
linux called Android. Second, it isn't the program that identifies the music,
that is all done on the backend. The program just records a few seconds of
music and sends it to the shazam server, where it gets matched against a -
presumably huge - database of known songs. The program as such probably could
be written as open source, there are similar efforts in image recognition (not
saying I could do it personally, just that I have seen similar efforts in
other areas so I'm pretty sure the talent is out there), but the real trick is
in building the huge music database and having it available online.

I suspect the best we can hope for there is a frontend for the shazam service.
Maybe it's even possible to run the official app somehow. Shouldn't it be
possible to run android java apps on a normal desktop system? Perhaps through
the android SDK? I've never tried, so I don't know if it's possible to make
that use the system microphone for things like that. Might be worth playing
with

Anders