Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?
On 30/03/12 19:11, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2012/03/30 18:54 (GMT+0100) Bob Williams composed:

On 30/03/12 17:31, Felix Miata wrote:

nomodeset is not a correct way to get boot messages displayed. Instead,
modify /boot/grub/menu.lst get rid of quiet, and change
splash=silent to
splash=verbose. Do the same in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader if you want to
keep it that way when kernels are updated.

My Intel 945 and 915 chipset desktop machines work OK, so your newer
965
laptop should be no worse if running at full power.

Well, I tried your suggestion, and I'm sorry to say, it didn't work. A
lot of messages scrolled rapidly down the screen, then the screen went
black. When the hard drive light stopped flickering I entered the
encryption password, and the system continued booting to the login
screen.

So, I think I'll stay with the 'quiet' and 'nomodeset' options.

It's not unusual for laptops to provide defective EDID to the driver.
Adding video=1024x768@60 (or whatever resolution you prefer or need) may
prevent the blackness.

Nomodeset is bad news. It forces X to fall back to a slow generic driver
that does not support desktop bling. video= only works when KMS is
enabled (by default). With nomodeset, the console modes are controlled
by the legacy vga= framebuffer parameters, and also with KMS for the
early seconds of init prior to Intel driver initialization, after which
video= takes over.

Interesting stuff. Adding video=1280x800@76 didn't get rid of the
blackness, but it did have the beneficial side effect of stopping the
mouse pointer from flickering. I suppose that was a result of the
downgraded video driver forced by nomodeset that you refer to above.

Many thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Williams