Re: [opensuse] Should openSUSE review it's Security Policies?
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:09:23PM -0400, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 03/28/12 19:55, Robert Schweikert pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

On 03/28/2012 07:04 PM, James Knott wrote:
Jos Poortvliet wrote:
They are being reconsidered. Heck, some have been changed already, and
others might. Also, Linus is not always right - some of the things he
complained about were not oS' fault but GNOME Shell (which can't
decouple
changing timezones for the clock of a single user vs from changing time
systemwide) and lacking printer drivers (if you don't have the printer
driver you need a root password to install one).

He was certainly right about the Wifi and printer config. Just today, I
was at a customer site and had to set up my computer to use their
printer. I couldn't have done it as a mere mortal user with openSUSE
12.1. I could as a regular user in Windows.

What if the appropriate printer driver isn't already on the system? Are
you implying that you are OK with installing printer driver packages as
user? IMHO a lot of people will have an issue with that. How do you then
differentiate the printer driver package form other packages?

I am not saying there may not be an issue. But, just saying users should
be able to configure any printer simplifies things just a tat too much.

WiFi is different as the firmware package for the machine will be pulled
in at install time, no additional install needed later.

Later,
Robert

And in the case of a "printer driver" it usually means nothing more then
supplying a PPD file to the config setup.

Just how fracking paranoid are we getting?

You are aware that PPD files can contain shell code snippets (to call filters)?
:)

Ciao, Marcus