Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?
On 26/03/12 21:18, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-03-26 10:57, Basil Chupin wrote:

If this noovoo driver works so pefectly why then have I had to use
"nomodeset" when installing Milestone #1 and #2, and then when booting into
the install, otherwise I got nowhere with the install and then the first
boot? In fact, I had to add "nomodeset" in menu.lst so as to be able to
login without going thru hoops to do so (until I installed the proper
nVidia driver)? And my video card is not something bought at an antique
shop: it is a Geforce 7600 GT card and uses the latest nVidia 295.33 driver.
Yes, many people have to do that.

People are asking every week in the forums about how they install openSUSE
because they get a black screen. They think openSUSE is bad or something.

Then somebody explain how to do the modeset trick and install Nvidia
drivers, and things work for them.

You know, this simply amazes me to the nth degree. It is the same as the rubbish which was argued about whether to have "close" or "restart" or "summary" as the default for YaST's Software Manager.

Why not simply put in "nomodeset" as the default entry on all installs which will allow people to at least yo login or continue the installation without having a black screen facing them and not knowing what the heck is going wrong?!

(Yeah, yeah, I know....go to the FATE thing, or whatever, and cast your vote on this, right? :-( . But in the meantime people think openSUSE is <enter your choice of word>.)

BC

--
The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should
see through it.