Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?
On Sun, 2012-03-25 at 18:03 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 25/03/12 07:43, Paul Ollion wrote:
Hello knowledgeable people
I have just installed OpenSuse 12.1 on a not very young PC with AMD Athlon
processor socker 362 ; 1048 Mhz and 1.5 Gb. ram
What do you think of it ? Is there a way out ?
Your problem is the driver for the nVidia card. The "nouveau" driver is
a piece of, ahem,....I cannot say it in polite company :-) .

This statement is extremely unfair. Nouveau works *great*, much better
than the proprietary driver on lots of hardware. Just not *all*
hardware.

I use nouveau on my workstation [GeForce 8400 GS] and my laptop [GeForce
GT 230M (NB10P GE)] - on both it works perfectly - and fast.

On my laptop I can plug in an external display, have it just-work,
unplug it and be left with a working single display. If I use the
properietary driver connecting an external display requires me to use
the nvidia tool to redetect the display and getting it to work is very
hit-n-miss.

Thank goodness of the awesomeness that is nouveau [provided you have the
right hardware].

On the other hand - that same laptop with openSUSE 11.x - I had to use
the proprietary drivers to get decent performance. Times change.

Install the *real* - that is as in "macho" :-) NVIDIA driver and you
will see a big difference.

Or that makes it nearly impossible to use a secondary display.