Re: [opensuse] FYI: Howto disable tracker
On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 23:06 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:39:40 -0400
That's why when I
work on a windows machine I have to disable/remove Windows Search,
Google Desktop, Roxio's search, Nero's search, etc, before the machine
is usable. My customers are like, WOW! It's fast now...... When I
tell them I removed it, they are like, "yeah, I never used it."
Comparing above with single desktop search, that doesn't have other home
then your computer and no other purpose then to help you find
information, is mixing apples and oranges.

+1 That is conflating implementations with concepts.

We had this issue with that useless "beagle" years ago & it hasn't had
a stable release in over 3 years.
Beagle's developers were C# skilled, which means not many and not with
deep knowledge of Linux, which was demonstrated in few bugs.
In attempt to create universal desktop search they did not take care to
integrate Beagle in any particular desktop. It was strange application
to any of them.

As someone who used Beagle extensively and dealt with Beagle
developers.... the above is incorrect. Early version of Beagle had
bugs - IT WAS THE FIRST TOOL OF IT'S KIND. There were also a few bugs
in the early versions of the Mono runtime. The Beagle developer's were
LINUX and GNOME guys through-and-through; I'd put just about anyone's
knowledge of LINUX up against theirs any day of the week. And Beagle
integrated deeply with numerous GNOME applications including
Evolution.

Sadly this it was the unfounded [verging on silly] anti-Mono bigotry
plus "bad-taste-memory" that killed Beagle (and caused all the
re-implementation effort that now gives us Tracker). It is silly how
users have a bad experience with an application and then continue to
cite and quote that experience for *years* [decades?] afterward, long
after the bugs have been solved. It makes a very solid argument
*against* release-early-release-often.

I can't imagine that more than 5% of users every even use a desktop
search tool much less find it useful on a regular basis. But heaven
forbid it not be included.
Desktop search this days, unlike Beagle times, is used without
explicitly calling some search application. It is embedded in Main
Menu Search, application starter (Alt+F2),

You can run "tracker-needle" for a specific Tracker GUI. Kind of handy
sometimes.

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>