Re: [opensuse] Thinkpad Edge E520 compatibility? experiences?
Quoting Carl Hartung <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi All,

My friend's five year old laptop died. We've narrowed the search
down to a Thinkpad Edge E520 (4GB RAM, i5-2450). Does anyone here know
if openSUSE 11.4 will 'just work' or of any specific integration issues
we should be aware of? I've found several threads via Google discussing
wireless but nothing definitive and it isn't clear how relevant or
current the information at http://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Laptops is.

I have a Thinkpad T520 - 4GB RAM, i5-2450, and Intel graphics. OpenSuSE 11.4
works well with it except with the stock kernel it locks up several times a
week. I am currently running the 3.2.4-1-vanilla kernel from the OpenSuSE
OBS. This is stable, except the microphone does not work, at least as seen by
Firefox. I am told even newer kernels work well also.

You can join the linux-thinkpad e-mail list and search the archives from
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Mailinglists. IIRC, there was a recent
discussion of issues with the E520 WiFi and 12.1beta that appear to have been
fixed. There may be more in posts I didn't save. The E520 and T520 have
different WiFi chips. IIRC, something I saw at install time, perhaps in the
release notes said do not do a CD install depending on updates via WiFi, be
sure to have a wired connection to the Internet.

Jeffrey