Re: [opensuse] Software Manager (YaST2) - a question about its behaviour
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:48:37 +0100
Lars Müller wrote:

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:22:57PM +0100, LLLActive@xxxxxxx wrote:
C wrote:

I'm not asking for a change now.. just trying to point out that
in some of what we do here in the project we forget the end
user...
+1.
exactly !!

Wouldn't it be nice with an option on the first YaST window:

Please indicate user experience level

Good indicator, the user decides what (s)he wants! The technical
issue besides the point for now; it is the attitude that is
reflected. Mature software presents a non-patronizing manner to the
user by allowing choices, and informing by good help functions about
them. Having done some technical writing and training material, it
was noticed that such efforts by users willing to help with such
uninteresting things like documentation and help systems are scared
off by these same engineers that know how it all works and loathe
the ignorance of these 'common' users. In stead of working together,
this attitude destroys great products like openSUSE in the long run.
No wonder many drift back to the brain dead M$ approach out of
frustration about such infantile attitudes. Pity. Sigh.

Ok, what's the conclusion?

Something is broken from the view of several of us.

There is room for improvement if we are keen to make openSUSE remain a
good choice for less experienced users. I think that is a goal worth
pursuing, but because our a distinct lack of leadership we don't know
if openSUSE thinks so too.

What are we doing?

Discuss it as long as possible till one finally gets annoyed to
work on it?

This habit I would call an infantile attitude. Try to step back a bit
and then consider where to spent your time on.

Please compare the issue discussed here to the noise generated on list
and the input given to address it at via
https://features.openSUSE.org/

Where all good intentions go to die. Well, not all, but it certainly is
not a happening place. If Basil had posted a new FATE instead of
starting this thread, chances are that nobody would have ever heard
about it.

Till now none of you who puts this amount of energy into this thread
had been powerful, smart, or solution driven enough to file a feature
request. Instead you expect others to drive something you like to get
changed.

Lars, in case you were not aware, one does not need to be powerful,
smart or even "solution driven" to file anything at openFATE. One just
needs a slightly naive belief that it'll start something.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't expect anyone to do anything.
I'm just pointing out a weakness in openSUSE that I think ought to be
addressed. If I had the time and resources, I would do it myself.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.1°C)