Re: [opensuse] Samba allow guest access
On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 14:15 +0100, Lars Müller wrote:
I am still pretty confused smb.conf but no password
is required.

Confused about what specifically?

"map to guest = Bad Password" means that any failed authentication
attempt just gets connected as the guest user. "guest ok = yes" for the
share means that the guest user has access to the share.

The assumption is that :
(a) "guest account = somebody" where "somebody" is a valid account.
(b) the underlying filesystem permissions allow "somebody" access to the
folder indicated by "path" in the share definition.

Bah, all files from /usr/share/samba/templates/ are empty. Bad. Else
it wouild be easy to get a diff.

Eh?

"guest ok = Yes" for each share pretty much took care of the only
issue that was stopping it from just working. I had already properly
configured the other two changes needed in smb.conf.
Well, it's very polite to keep these other two secret issues for you. ;)
Look, others migth later run into the same trouble, find this thread and
are faced by issues as well. But the lame dudes of the openSUSE lists
kept this secret well hidden. Come on, make the others and all of us
happy too!

I assume those other two changes where the two entries required in
[globals]. A working config is -

[global]
security = user
map to guest = Bad Password

[share_definition]
guest ok = yes

- taken directly from the link previously posted to the project
documentation.
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#guest_access>

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>