Re: [opensuse] Dual boot ubuntu & opensuse
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:39:19 +0100
On Wednesday 14 Mar 2012 13:18:11 Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Hi,

After reading the threads about grub, I was wondering how I have to
install opensuse on my ubuntu laptop. There is a partition free, but how
about grub ?
What information do I need to be able to make an entry in suse's
menu.lst ? Or can opensuse's installer manage this by itself ?
Then again, do I need to modify my ubuntu to tell it's no longer in
control of grub ?

openSUSE 12.1 uses Grub 0.97, so it can't automatically detect Grub2
installations (such as ubuntu). In your situation I would tell the openSUSE
installer not to add a bootloader and then modify Grub2 from ubuntu and add
the openSUSE install as a boot menu choice.

The second option is to install Grub1 with openSUSE and manually add Ubuntu
back into the boot choices.

If it was me i would do it the first way, but either way works.