[opensuse] Radeon HD 6450
FWIW, this is all persuant to my threads "12.1 installation failure"
and "Video cards and 12.1" of the past few days.

Card is Radeon HD 6450

Got the darn thing to install.

At the initial reboot, it gave up on graphics saying something
like (sorry I didn't copy it down) "couldn't find a graphical
interface". I proceeded as follows:

1) chmod +s /usr/X11/bin/Xorg
2) cp xorg.conf.install xorg.conf
3) startx (this got me started into LXDE - specified during install)

hwinfo (the graphical'd version in yast) suggests that I've got a display
of "ATI VGA compatible controller" whose driver is "Radeon". Indeed
lsmod(8) shows the radeon driver loaded. It certainly is not mentioned
in the xorg.conf. And fbdev (nor indeed 'fb' anything) is shown by lsmod.

Xorg.0.log speaks repeatedly of vesa, but no module with 'vesa' in it is
currently loaded by the kernel. (perhaps that's not the right place to
look?)

I notice something about a SAX3, but the repo is not displayed
in the yast2 repository list. How to add it?

Suggestions more than welcomed about all this.

I'm off to experiment with things like specifying "Radeon"
in xorg.conf but... *sigh*

Michael
--
Michael Fischer