From: brian@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:01am
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review it's Security Policies?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Basil Chupin" <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 1:29am
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On 07/03/12 15:52, Brian K. White wrote:
On 3/2/2012 8:56 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

Besides, this screensaver idea belongs to the 50s era when the screen
was likely to get a "burn in" which no longer applies and hasn't applied
for decades. How can you get a "burn in" on an LCD monitor?

Pro Tip: google everything you are about to say just before you say it
from now on.

Thanks for the above.

To quote from something (found using another search engine other than
google), I quote the following:

QUOTE

LCD
Further information: LCD and LCD TV

Pros:

Very compact and light
Low power consumption, generally speaking. On average, 50-70% less
energy is consumed than CRT monitors. [2]
No geometric distortion.
Little or no flicker depending on backlight technology.
Not affected by screen burn-in (though an analogous but less severe
phenomenon known as image persistence is possible).
Can be made in almost any size or shape.
No theoretical resolution limit

UNQUOTE

Note the 5th line of the "Pros" list, to wit:

"Not affected by screen burn-in (though an analogous but less severe
phenomenon known as image persistence is possible)."

And for your edification this comes from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_CRT,_LCD,_Plasma

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly
of the vulgar.

--------

I already knew all that, thus the suggestion.
Why do I get the feeling that after actually looking it up you still think an
lcd screen has no use for a screen saver?

Also all lcd's aren't the same and unpredictable things change all the time as
far as how they're made and how they wear. My TV is lcd and has contrast and
motion enhancement features that alter the backlight brightness and strobe
frequency in different regions to match the picture. So now you have the
potential for some backlight elements to burn more than others, maybe burning
out sooner or increasing chances of one row/column to burn out, than the rest,
even if the light output quality/performance never changes over time. No reason
a monitor couldn't have the same features.

Then you have oled's starting to appear which emit light directly and they
degrade relatively quickly. Each pixel has a sort of half-life it uses up
whenever it is on, and depending on how bright.

So, for a variety of reasons, it's wrong to say that today a distribution
doesn't need to enable a screen saver by default.

--
bkw