On 07/03/12 00:30, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 14:03:40 Per Jessen wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
People are forgetting that openSUSE is the 'experimental' software
which the "lab bunnies" are given for free to test, to report on the
bugs et al, and have their patience and nerves stretched to the limit
and all done with the ultimate aim of producing SUSE.
Uhm, not quite:

"No, we're not - anymore - the testing ground, openSUSE is upstream of
SLES"
Thanks for citing me quickly. I was just going to refute Basil and state
that openSUSE is a distribution on its own.

Andreas

Thank you, Andreas, for your response.

I realise that openSUSE is a distribution on it own now - well at least since some recent time.

But then so are Ubuntu and Fedora and Mint and Debian and Red Hat and......all are separate distributions :-) .

However, one cannot help noting the following entry in Wikipedia:

QUOTE

On April 27, 2011 Attachmate completed its acquisition of Novell. Attachmate split Novell into two autonomous business units, Novell and SUSE. Attachmate has no plans to change the relationship between SUSE (formerly Novell) and the openSUSE project.

UNQUOTE

The question now needs to be asked and clarified: where does SLES fit in - is it in the openSUSE "camp" or in the Novell/SUSE "camp"?

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
Niccolo Machiavelli