Re: [opensuse] 12.1 v slow as virtualbox guest

On 03/07/2012 07:01 AM, lynn wrote:
Hi everyone

Host 12.1 2GB, 128 video=NVIDIA 6100 w 128Mb
Guest 12.1 800Mb, 100 video, 3D accel
KDE: unusable
XFCE OK with compositor is ON but still v. slow.

M$ win7 guest w 640Mb, 64 video+2D/3D is almost as fast as the host.

I think this is to do with the graphics but can anyone give us any sort of comparison of what to expect?

Thanks,
L x

I teach Linux at a Technical college and use openSUSE, running on virtual machines, on vmware and virtualbox 4.1.x, myself I use openSUSE as host on all my computers.

I've observed, that when running openSUSE 12.1, in a virtual machine, that on the first run, when akonadi, all the desktop search engines, and man pages etc. initialize on first run, the virtual machine runs very very slow, to the point of being non-responsive. Once everything is done initializing I shutdown akonadi, desktop search etc...., from that point on vm runs well.

Not sure this is the same issue as yours, all my host computers are using Nvidia, however I'm not using the 3d, stuff.

Thanks,

Tony