Re: [opensuse] Commercial office suites for Linux?
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 07:14:08 -0500
On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 10:17 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
Mark Misulich said the following on 03/05/2012 08:50 AM:

Hi,

did you try Scribus?

Karl
Hi,
yes I did. I think it is supposed to be similar to MSPublisher. I am
very limited on how large the file size can be since I send the
newsletter to members on dial-up isp's. I found that both Scribus and
MSPublisher made a larger file size than what I was able to produce in
Word. Scribus and MSPublisher are both great products, but for my
particular circumstances Word worked best in comparison.

What is it you send out?
The MS-word .doc file? The Scribus sla file?

As I've said, as many people have pointed out, different versions of
MS-Word format differently.

I hope you send out a system independent format such as a PDF.
The thing I like about PDF is that it looks *exactly* like you want it
to look on any destination machine. Its why so many people use it for
publishing.

That's not to say some PDF generators are awful. But that's not the
problem; there are plenty of tools to do cleanup. Just as you can use
'tidy' to clean up the abysmal HTML that MS-Word produces ...

I use Word 2000 to produce my document, then I convert it to PDF with
Acrobat 6.

I have tried every combination of file from Word,OOo and LOo, Scribus,
MSPublisher, then convert it to PDF in several ways. It always comes
out as a smaller file if I use Word then Acrobat, than any other
combination to produce it.