Re: [opensuse] Commercial office suites for Linux?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 15:29:06 +0100
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 15:13, Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
fixes??) with themselves.  I've seen/heard many complaints that
documents produced in one version don't print out exactly the same using
another ... different page breaks, automatic spacing and things like that.

That can even come down to printer drivers. You can open up a new
document on Office 2007... create/edit/layout the contents. Move that
document to another computer running Office 2007 but with a different
printer driver as default and the layout will change (I used Office
2007 as an arbitrary example here... could be any equivalent
versions). Then add to the mess by changing Office version and you
have yet again a whole new layer of incompatibility or changes. Try
creating a presentation in PowerPoint2010 with nice transitions etc..
then open that same document (if you can) in Office 2003... you won't
have the exact same presentation anymore.

People are using any number of combinations of MS Office and printer
drivers. Anything you create in MSO has a good chance of being borked
in any other random version of MSO. You will find the same level of
oops in LibreOffice.

The latest LibreOffice is much improved over previous version - it
even can open Visio files now. You should find less incompatibility
between LO and MSO... although.. Office Open XML (docx, xlsx etc) and
MS Office still has interesting hidden layers of WTF built into it
that will periodically reach out and smack you when you're trying to
round trip a document.... my pet peeve is... set up a spreadsheet in
LibreOffice, export to xls or xlsx... open in MS Office 2010, make an
edit, save... now open that document in LibreOffice again and all your
formulas will have been stripped out by MS Office when it saved. Not
LibreOffice's fault.. it's MSO being annoying.

C.