  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 14:53:59 +0100
Basil Chupin wrote:

On 04/03/12 00:10, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

Sofar I have been using "Lock" and "Screensaver[any]"
interchangeably. I don't care which one it is as long as (we have a
security profile in which) auto-lock/screen-saver:

1) is enabled by default with a reasonable timeout,
2) cannot be disabled
2) can only be disabled by root

What I am finding very hard to come to grips with is this need to not
only be unable to disable the screensaver but also to have a root
password when it is to be disabled.

Why is the screensaver such an important feature?

(screensaver or auto-lock).
Protection of information. People forget to lock their screen when they
go to drink coffee or smoke a cigarette. Having an office PC
auto-locked after X minutes reduces the window of risk. What people
would like displayed instead of their desktop is immaterial, blank
screen, acquarium, banner, whatever.

The darn screensaver is using the cpu (and the gpu) to generate stuff
on the monitor - and this is heating up the cpu which otherwise can
sit quietly and resting.

Screensaver could be = blank screen.

Could you perhaps give an example of why you consider that the
screensaver is so important and why it would require a root password
to disable it? All in the cause of educating me of course :-) .

For the first, see above. Second, disabling it should require root
access because it is a security and/or policy feature. Changing the
screensaver to <whatever> should be left to the user.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.9°C)