On 03/03/12 23:33, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

Basil Chupin wrote:

2) always require
password when locked
This, also, is the default: lock the screen and you have to enter
your password to "un-blank" it.
I'll have to double check that - I'm sure it was not default (in
KDE) when I wrote that FATE entry.
Lock the screen; hit any key or move the mouse and enter your
password at the menu - and your desktop is once again displayed.

Been like this for years as far as I am concerned.

I HATE the screensaver - it is a PITA. It belongs to the dark ages,
and if I cannot disable it I would then be forced to switch over to
Windows.
In the business/corporate environment, in particular where personal
or otherwise confidential data is being processed, it's an absolute
must.
Again how so? The screen saver activates after a certain set period.
Yes, but the user has the option to disable it. Also, in my
experience, the box "Password required" is not ticked by default, but
that could have changed.
I have just created a new user on a 12.1 desktop system. The screen-
saver is active by default, but can be disabled by the user. Also,
the "require password" box is not ticked.

Configure Desktop -> Display and monitor -> Screensaver

If the user locks the screen, a password is required to unlock (by
default), so there _is_ a difference between "lock" and "activate
screen-saver".

I think I can see a stumbling block emerging here.... :-) .

I think that we are talking about 2 difference versions of KDE and probably 2 different ways we are using the Desktops/Workspaces.

I am using, and talking about, KDE 4.8.x (latest updates to it) as well as NOT using the Folder View for the 6 Desktops I have but have separate Activities/Widgets for each Desktop/Workspace.

For example, I do not see what you just referred to which is "Configure Desktop". In 4.8.00 (Release 462) I see "Desktop Settings".

Which version of KDE are you using? And do you use the Folder View? This is what my Desktops (well one of them) looks like:

http://susepaste.org/35961810

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly
of the vulgar.