  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:53:30 +0100
C wrote:

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 15:04, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Purely a tangent here, but at least security policy related - a while
ago, I created a FATE request suggesting we alter the default
settings in the GUI to 1) always enable to screen-saver, 2) always
require password when locked and 3) prevent the user from disabling
the screen saver.  It wasn't met with great approval :-(

And not much wonder. While that might make sense on a corporate
desktop (I've had at least one employer enforce that exact scenario),
if you try to do that on my desktop computer... I'll be VERY grumpy.

I think it makes as much sense at home as at work. Especially when
you've kids, spouse and other family around who perhaps share the
laptop on occasion.
But I guess the response was an indication that people who check FATE
are mostly home users.

I do not use a screensaver at all at home... and the computer is never
"locked". The very first thing I do after an install is disable the
screensaver.

I use my main desktop for work as well as home use - I always enable
lock. I don't want anyone accidentally hitting the wrong key etc.

If the user was prevented from disabling the screensaver
(requiring root or whatever to config), you would have a MUCH bigger
outcry than a Linux guru grumping about printer configs and WiFi.

The user would have the option to enable/disable this at install time.

That is a great idea in my view... if we could decide on what is in
each... and ensure that low isn't so low as to introduce a major
security hole... this could be a nice solution. It has the potential
to make everyone happy... including people who want a permanent
screensaver with password requirement :-)

Let's hope we can find someone to willing to implement it too ....

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.3°C)