Jim Henderson wrote:
What I'm saying is that different people have different requirements
based on what their use case is for the software. Some people need
restrictive policies because they're in higher security environments.

Not to put too fine a point on it, James, but this is complete nonsense.
You're assuming that in the "real world" everyone has the exact same
requirements for security. That is demonstrably not true.

As I have I said several times, it should be optional, at the dicretion of the admin or employer. However, that does not seem to be possible at the moment and that's what all the fuss is about. The developers decided they knew better than the users about what security is required to the point that it is currently useless in many business environements. As I mentioned, I would not be able to do my work for that insurance company, if I'd been handed openSUSE 12.1