Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
How does it solve the problem if an employer doesn't want to give
> employees root access, but expects them you be able to use WiFi?
Hmm. I use WiFi in three offices, hotels, home, and wherever. On KDE I
set it up via network manager. I am never root for that. Same with wired
connections. I think the problem is that network manager seems to have
gone through a bad stretch where it could, in some updates, stop
working. That, for wifi on openSUSE, is the issue. I do not know if the
gnome equivalent has had such a seemingly turbulent recent history.

In 12.1, you need root password to initially configure a WiFi connection. Once that's done, you can use it without root password. Earlier versions did not require root password to establish a connection.