On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:27:36AM +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 08:59 +0100, lynn wrote:
On 03/01/2012 08:38 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 00:17 +0100, jdd wrote:
Le 29/02/2012 21:27, Roger Oberholtzer a écrit :

I think the issue is fine-grained permissions.

read man sudoer

* What fine-grained activities currently limited to root could have
configurable access. Like my favorite: network broadcasts.

Hi
Sorry to interfere, but Is that Wireshark? On ubuntu you can launch it
as a user. On openSUSE only root can launch it. Or at least I've not
found a way to do it.

It is software and, more importantly, libraries provided by equipment
vendors. For example, these companies provide SDKs for Linux that have
as part of their procedure the desire to do a network broadcast to
locate things:

SICK AG
(http://www.sick.com)

JAI A/S
(http://www.jai.com/en/)

Allied Vision Technologies
(http://www.alliedvisiontec.com/emea/home.html)

Basler
(http://www.baslerweb.com)

LMI Selcom
(http://www.lmi3d.com/)

There are many more. They too complain that Linux sometimes makes it
more difficult to implement transducer queries than 'the other OS'.
Their techniques are similar to mDNS and such things.

I would use these in my application, as one does. I do NOT repeat NOT
want to run measurement software as root just to satisfy this need.

But this is not really related to the topic of Desktop security that Linus
was mostly ranting about.

(I do not exactly understand the issues at hand here though.)

Ciao, Marcus