Steven Hess wrote:
This is easily configured the traditional way during set up.
My single user system has user and root passwords.

This is not a problem for me on my own computer, because I know both root and user passwords. However, in a corporate environment, you generally don't give users root access. As I mentioned, I was given a computer for use on an insurance company's network. It runs Windows 7 and I can use it with WiFi and connecting to new printers. If I had been given a computer running openSUSE 12.1, I would not be able to do my work.