Re: [opensuse] Google Earth making work
  • From: "A. den Oudsten" <AdenOudsten@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 19:55:16 +0100
Op 29-12-11 16:37, Rodney Baker schreef:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 20:59:27 A. den Oudsten wrote:
I installed the latest version of Google Earth on my 12.1 OpenSuse, but
it does not start.
Is there a trick to make it start?
Thanks in advance
André den Oudsten
This is usually due to a glibc (or other library) incompatibility. There are
some libraries shipped with google-earth (which are placed in the google-earth
install directory) which conflict with different versions of the same
libraries installed on the machine. Removing/renaming the offending libraries
in the google-earth install directory (so that it uses the installed system
libs instead) usually fixes the issue. There are instructions for this on the
google-earth support page (in fact, I think even in the FAQ). You'll have to
google it (ironic, really) because I didn't save the link last time I had to
do this.

Starting google-earth from a terminal window should give you a hint, anyway.

The reaction on starting in a terminal was:
error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
In the googleearth map is a file libGLU.so.1.
I changed that to LibGL.so.1 and started googleearth again
Now the reaction was:
./googleearth-bin: symbol lockup error: ./librender.so undefined symbol: glXGetConfig
Gives this an indication how to go further?
T.i.a.
André