Re: [opensuse] Poor 12.1 performance
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:41:44 -0600
On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 04:25:49 PM James Knott wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
I just removed nouveau and rebooted. The system seems more responsive
now and top shows xorg at more normal levels. I'll have to see how it
does in use.

How you removed nouveau ? it is part of the kernel... echo "blacklist
nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf should be enough.

As I mentioned in another note, it was listed in Software Manager. I
simply deleted it by replacing the check mark with an X. The package
removed was:

xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau - Accelerated Open Source driver for
nVidia cards

While removing xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau should:
- remove xorg part of nouveau
- blacklist kernel module nuveau
- rebuild initrd without nouveau and with nvidia kernel module

You can check is it the case with:

lsmod | grep nouveau

which will show is kernel driver nouveau still loaded.
If it is then your video system most likely has no access to 3D.

Actually:

hwinfo --gfxcard

should give you comprehensive output that has only one problem,
it is verbose :)

--
Regards, Rajko