Re: [opensuse] systemd pam entry missing in /etc/pam.d/xdm
* Javier Conti <javier.conti@xxxxxxxxx> [12-28-11 20:11]:
On 29 December 2011 00:47, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I *can* mount removable media via pmount utility.

I do and have and am able to manually mount removable and static devices
just as I have been able to since ?? 5.0 in SuSE and previous that in
Marmaduke.  I appreciate the automatic mounting and miss it in 12.1.

Ok. I assumed that you were not able to mount devices from the
"Device Notifier" widget as a normal user too.

Your assumption *is* correct. I can *manually* mount and/or via pmount
utility, but not via "Device Notifier" widget and it is/was configured to
do so.

I now enabled the automounting feature on that widget and can confirm it
works fine. I plugged a USB HD and inserted a data CD: both were
automounted.

Although I never really digged into that, it seems to me that in the process
of mounting (and automounting) removable media systemd is not
involved. What I see from a quick glance at the logs is udev and dbus are
involved instead.

However, mounting the CD showed that:

udevd[4125]: starting '/lib/systemd/systemd-uaccess /dev/sr0 '

IMHO, that could explain why for Adam CDs and DVDs didn't work,
although HDs did. I don't know why they are treated differently

I'd like to know, just for information, if putting the pam_systemd entry
helped Adam mounting CDs and DVDs...

I see the same. I cannot mount cd/dvd's automagically, but can *manually*
or via pmount. Devices listed in /etc/fstab including nfs and external
sata (have not tried usb) mount as expected.