Re: [opensuse] Documentation - SDB and Wiki (was [SOLVED] "Undefined mode 348")
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 15:48:18 -0600
On Saturday, December 24, 2011 01:43:07 PM Kim Leyendecker wrote:

I guess this is also relevant to the openSUSE documentation team, since
a wiki is some kind of good documentation. Maybe they can give better
explanations....

Documentation team knows about wiki, at least part that works for SUSE, and in
particular Frank Sundermayer, that was and is one of the most knowledgeable
people in wiki matters and web design.

What I was referring to, in my two previus emails, is fact that majority of
openSUSE users are acting like they are living in the ancient times when
someone else, usually SUSE employee, did the work and they would just consume
it. That time is gone. It started to go away in August 2005, when openSUSE and
wiki were created. It continued to fade out when OBS was created, Factory was
opened for community contributions, etc, etc.

Today we have Boosters team, SUSE employees dedicated to start or help
community activities that need attention, but they can't be everywhere and
they are not. The rest of SUSE employees do their jobs that often intersect
with community activities, but we can't expect them to have time for
everything that has to be done.

Now in 2011 we are much more on our own and what we have is exactly what we
create. If it is not so good, it is exactly what we made.

Pointing one or two examples that are not good, and implicitely asking someone
else to fix it, is like knocking on a own home doors with expectation that
someone will open it. Sometimes there is family inside, but if not you have a
key and you should use it, otherwise you can wait for Mr. Godot aswell.

Well, you are actually one of those that use such proverbial key, so you know
that it is not that hard, it does not require a high knowledge that only few
have, nor it requires much time if you don't have it.

In numbers.
Having 30 minutes a week to read a wiki article and update it to current
status will fix 50 articles a year. Although, we have a lot more in the wiki,
funny is that most of them don't need updates, as they refer to specific
problem with specific software version, so when software is updated, most
likely that article can be indexed as archive. So 2-3 editors that will create
list of articles that need regular updates (using wiki categories, not
manually created indexes) will cover all articles that need updates with some
30 minutes a week.

How much time is that?

This email took me more.
So, if only 2-3 of the most verbose and eloquent writers on this list skip one
or two emails a week, they will be able to keep whole wiki up to date at any
time. Not to mention, that eloquence is:
(a) sign of good mind, and
(b) shows interest in writing.
so they will have fun doing it.

--