Re: [opensuse] Re: fsh and distros
On 12/20/2011 7:50 PM, lynn wrote:
On 12/21/2011 01:25 AM, Joachim Schrod wrote:
lynn wrote:
On 12/21/2011 12:25 AM, Brian K. White wrote:
On 12/19/2011 8:05 PM, Rüdiger Meier wrote:
On Tuesday 20 December 2011, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 19/12/11 17:15, Brian K. White wrote:
We do not WANT that much uniformity among distros.
The lack of uniformity, is a mayor problem, at least from my
developer point of view, it duplicates a lot of work.
Why do we need openSUSE at all? Because it's green?

Uniformity is nice where it does not have too much downsides. I'am
totally fine that there are distros like Ubuntu or Fedora rapidly
throwing away good old unix style to get over some apple/windows
users.
But isn't Fedora/Ubuntu enough? Do we need a greenish mix of them?

What exactly should be the difference between Fedora and openSUSE?
That right there is the $64,000 question.
The consultancy down the road are hiring. It's a deal more than you're
earning now, less work and a company car. You're OK with Yast and
openSUSE. They use Debian.

Job vacancies are beginning to specify not Linux, but a distro.
Well, but that's easy. In that situation, one always knows Debian,
of course. Anybody who knows her or his way around openSUSE and
isn't proficient in Debian within a week (that one needs to be
proficient in any new company anyhow) is not worth hiring. All the
others can tell their future employers that they know Debian,
because, at the time the specific knowledge is needed, they will.

And that's my NSHO as a CEO who does hiring. My company exists
since 1995, and I was always able to distinguish between blenders
that tell me about dists they boasted to be in-and-out and (to take
a recent example) Ex-Solaris admins with 20+ years experience who
were grumpy but knew Linux best practices within a forthnight. No
need to tell who I hired.

Joachim

That's interesting. Do you get them to do anything with a computer when
they attend interview?

I don't have to see them do anything on an actual computer.

Just a few minutes of conversation is all. What's required is that _I_ know what _I'm_ talking about, so that when the applicant says something, I know just how ingenious, or not, that was. A surprisingly few words can actually indicate so much. One little statement proves all by itself that the person solves any problem thrown at them by finding the tools that might do the job, then figuring out how to use the tools, then successfully using them. Most people just don't do that. They just know how to do whatever someone else explicitly told them to do.

There is a hands-on proof stage anyways, which is just that we generally have people do specific jobs as independent contractors for a few jobs first and then offer to hire them full time. A few stay quasi-independent anyways by choice and we just always have more work for them than they can keep up with.

--
bkw