Re: [opensuse] English locution correction (was Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
On 12/20/2011 5:17 PM, doug wrote:
On 12/20/2011 07:13 PM, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Tuesday 20 December 2011 15:46:24 John Andersen wrote:
The entire issue revolves around a largely archaic use of the word "beg",
which is used almost NOWHERE in English today or for the past hundred
years other than in this SINGLE phrase "beg the question".
I beg to differ. It seems as if every other day someone calls on the
phone to beg for a donation. I refused to teach this dog to beg, having
learned the hard way with a previous dog. I hardly think the word is
archaic.

--doug

Apparently reading comprehension is becoming archaic:

A LARGELY ARCHAIC USE OF THE WORD "beg",
which IS USED almost NOWHERE in English today or for the past hundred
years other than in this SINGLE phrase "beg the question".

Beg (plead) is not archaic. Beg (sidestep) the question is.