Re: [opensuse] English locution correction (was Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 01:13:54 +0100
On Tuesday 20 December 2011 15:46:24 John Andersen wrote:
The entire issue revolves around a largely archaic use of the word "beg",
which is used almost NOWHERE in English today or for the past hundred
years other than in this SINGLE phrase "beg the question".

traffic signs, John?

But why use it? Especially when it means something entirely different

My guess is that the cause is the same as that of the overuse of "...and I".
People have heard it, possibly been corrected, and think it is the correct
form of "...and me" for all cases, whether subject or object, and simply use
it because they think it makes them sound educated.

My guess is that people use "beg the question" because they think it is a more
educated form of "raise the question"

Anders