[opensuse] English locution correction (was Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
On Thursday, December 08, 2011 09:43 PM Dirk Gently wrote:
Dennis Gallien wrote:
On Thursday, December 08, 2011 09:18 PM Dirk Gently wrote:

[enormously long snip]

That begs the question, does openSUSE want the *same* users as Ubuntu?

Bzzzt!

That BEGETS the question. (i.e. it leads to the question).

Begging the question is a logical fallacy in which you assume
the conclusion to prove the conclusion (I.e. "This holy book
is true because it says so." THAT is begging the question).

I stand corrected and humbled. (Extra embarassment: My wife is a writer
and editor; if she had seen that I'd have had a lot worse done to me
than getting humbled.) :)

My primary purpose for posting was so that non-native English
speakers wouldn't start adopting this recent and horrible
locution which is spreading through this country (USA).

So Dirk, I finally found the website just for you (or perhaps you authored):

http://begthequestion.info/

To the non-native English speakers fearing this horrible spreading locution
expidemic - and the correction was indubatably accurate - click on the link
and as you will see, help is on the way. :)

Be sure to also check the FAQ page for how to obtain BTQ shirts and mugs for
that native-English speaking "pedantic linguistic curmudgeon" in your life.

--dg