Re: [opensuse] fsh and distros
On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 14:31 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 18/12/11 14:04, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Anyway, I think he has a *strong* point. That in 2011 I still have to
grep system logs is *STUPID*. That there isn't a decent log
viewer/browser is ridiculous. Much like how there isn't a
quasi-universal and decent interface to at/cron.
That is what "journald" is all about, coming soon to openSUSE, however

Yep, looking forward to it. No doubt there will be as much whining as
there has been about systemd - but it can't get here soon enough IMNSHO.

you loose the ability to "grep" that particular logs provided by
journald because they are in binary format,

Who cares. If there are tools that can read the format and the format
is Open, whatever. Finally having cryptographically verifiable logs
will be awesome. Currently I use syslog-ng to feed log messages into a
central PostgreSQL that prevents deletion or update of log records via
rules. Text files are hopeless.

However, you can still use and grep traditional syslog files.

Yep. And if I never had to do that again.... I won't shed a single
tear.

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>