Re: [opensuse] Is openSUSE a rolling release?
On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's not like jumping off a cliff, but there are *possilbly* hazzards.  I
upgraded my home system as a test via "zypper -v dup ..." but I would not
do that to a *production* system w/o having first tried on very similar
system.  If I break my home machine, I normally have a contingency plan
and my server has mail and web, ...  The desktop accesses required data on
the server, mail, financial records, other data.  If the desktop is
scrambled, I can just reinstall and have not really lost anything but my
(valuable) time.

Correct, but doing this on a separate machine is according to me,
also, is a better choice, or rather I would reinstall fully since
neither I am the admin (in computers) nor a computer guy but using
openSUSE (whenever we have to do work with computers, almost daily
emailing and documentations) is really better than MS, so it would not
matter for us if we reinstall in some 2-3 machines right from the
first step, however, this is the worst case when even after going
through all docs and doing up-gradation in the correct recommended way
also play any hazard(s) (if).

Only you can determine whether you can stand the risk to a system you
control.  If you cannot stand any downtime on your "office" machine,
perhaps you should upgrade another machine and then replace your "office"
machine with it while you do that upgrade.

Or maybe your upgrade will complete w/o problem and .....

Lots of maybessssss

yes and this should be to the every user of linux since up-gradations
may be hazards sometimes, but certainly those times could not be
decided by one..., random, of course.

Thanks.