Re: [opensuse] Commands and Documentation
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:59:16 -0600
On Thursday, December 15, 2011 04:21:41 AM Linux Tyro wrote:

I really didn't know that those are common,

Now when you know they are common, you understand why we like and use them
very often.

I can use 2, 3 or more desktops on different computers, but basic command line
(shell) is always the same, so I have to learn commands only once. Also, if
some command behaves differently, it is easy to figure out what it does in
particular system:
* <command> --help
* <command> -h
* man <command>
* apropos <topic>
You noticed <command> and <topic> that are placeholders for actual text, with
hint "command" and "topic" what it stands for.

Differences come from different versions, or different options compiled, which
can make slight, but not major difference in behaviour.

Also, there is bunch of shells that provide command line interface (CLI), but
the most used commands and basic options are provided by any with same few
letters, which is not the case with graphical user interface (GUI) where some
basic stuff has completely different names.

--
Regards, Rajko