Re: Re: [opensuse] Is openSUSE a rolling release?
On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 06:53:09 PM Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx> [12-13-11 18:43]:
We have a rolling release called Tumbleweed. It is not advised for the
less experienced or adventurous. Though the software that makes it in
to Tumbleweed is considered stable, it is still less tested than the
main distro and thus you may still run into serious work disrupting
bugs. PLus, the frequent updates can break proprietary drivers such as
nVidia and ATI drivers.
"frequent updates" do *not* break the nVidia drivers; cannot speak for ATI
as I purposely have NVidia. To my experience, *only* kernel updates cause
NVidia ?breakage? as they require reinstallation of the NVidia driver. It
does ?break? when the kernel is updated and not the driver.

I also find very *little* problem with the tumbleweed packages and those
problems have been quickly addressed. Thanks Greg Kroah-Hartman.
You are exactly correct. But those issues are a huge pain to a very new user,
and thus the experience when that kernel update happens is that their OS is
now "broken." That is essentially my point; I didn't see precision to be
necessary here.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador