Re: [opensuse] Any problems with installing 12.1 on RAID ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:19:39 +0100
James Knott wrote:

Anton Aylward wrote:
James Knott said the following on 12/15/2011 11:09 AM:
Last week, I installed it on a RAID1& LVM array. No problems.
Even /boot is on RAID.
Perhaps you should write that up for the HOW-TO/Wiki

That's useful stuff.

There's not much to write up, it just worked. One thing to remember
is that /boot cannot be on RAID5. It has to be on RAID1 or no RAID.
In the past, I've giving /boot it's own partition and used RAID5 for
the rest. However, I thought I'd try it on RAID1 as an experiment.
Next thing to try is enabling it to boot with one drive missing
(failed).

I'm experimenting on an old IBM Netfinity server, with 6 SCSI drive
slots. I've got 4 - 17 GB drives, 2 68 GB and 2 137 GB, so I have
lots to play with. ;-)

The current configuration is everything but /home on the RAID1 & LVM
array on the 2 68 GB drives and /home on a single 137 GB drive.

Is any of this software RAID or are you using a (presumably) builtin
hardware RAID array?

The only problem with this server is it's a bit slow. It has dual
PIII CPUs and 1 GB memory.

Heh, my mail test-cluster is still running a set of PII 400-MHz with
384Mb memory each. More than plenty :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.4°C)