Re: [opensuse] Boot an USB stick using a CD?
Bjoern Voigt wrote:
Currently I have a boot problem which may be a bit unusual.

I booted from KDE Live CD 12.1 and installed openSUSE 12.1 on an
USB stick. But unfortunately to old notebook (Sony Vaio PCG-K115M)
does not boot from USB. In the moment I do not want to touch the
notebook's hard disk.

Is there a way to boot the installed system from the USB stick
using a live or boot CD?

I already tested the "Boot from harddisk" option from the Live CD.
Unfortunately this option boots from hard disk. Probably I have to
type in the parameter "root=/dev/sdb6" somewhere. Or is it better
to create a special boot CD for the USB stick? How can I do this?
I could solve this problem with an own GRUB bootable CD-ROM. I copied
the files (/boot/vmlinuz*, /boot/initrd*) and modified the file
/boot/grub/menu.lst from YaST bootloader configuration for the
CD-ROM. I used this documentation:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD-ROM.html

Greetings,
Björn