Re: [opensuse] Need a hint regarding raid 10
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Andreas <maps.on@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I'm playing with a raid 10 configuration.
I don't want to boot from it so this is not the common issue you'll find in
the first twentysomething google-pages.

I tried to create it with Yast.
First I thought I could create 2 RAID 0 pairs like md0 and md1 and then
combine them to md2 as RAID 1 so this would be a RAID 10 cluster.
Tough luck. After creating md0 and md1 Yast complains there weren't any
partitions left to create another MD.

Of course there is an "RAID 10" option but there one just can tell Yast
which 4 partitions to use for the RAID 10.
One can't tell it which partitions to pair.
This might be irrelevant in case one uses 4 physical drives. In my test
config there are only 2 with 2 partitions each.
I know this isn't optimal but I just wan't to get the feel for now.

How can I see which partitions got combined.
mdadm --detail /dev/md0
tells me only which 4 partitions are used.

Andreas,

mdadm --examine /dev/sdXX

will show the "Device role" near the bottom of the report.

You should have devices 0 thru 3.

I'm working from memory, but I "believe" device 0 is mirrored with
device 1 and device 2 with device 3.

Greg