Re: [opensuse] How to partitioning in unallocated disk space
On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 17:06 +0100, Lars Müller wrote:
On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:04:50AM -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
David C. Rankin said the following on 12/09/2011 12:03 AM
If you don't know what all you are likely to do with the box in the
future, then
saving unpartitioned space for a future OS install or further expansion
makes sense.
And LVM is the most flexible way to do that.
In fact put your /home and /var and /tmp there to start with.
I'm looking forward to being able to put multiple "/" in LVM ...
You remember KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid. By this reason I try hard to
keep my root filesystem on a real device.

I disagree. The ability to grow and/or move the root volume is immense
flexibility - you can even replace the 'system drive' in the workstation
or server. There is no reason not use LVM; KISS doesn't save you
anything. I've used a logical volume as root for years and never had
any issues.

Ensure to keep /boot on a separate partition with some ext? fs. I use
ext4.

Agree. I always keep /boot as a separate 256MB file-system.

And to put cream on top of this all use btrfs! Yes, use btrfs. And
once again btrfs is the fs you like to use.
You might ask why the heaven should I play beta tester for the btrfs
developers?
a) It's no longer beta! Check yourself https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/

Agree. BTRFS isn't beta [although people keep repeating that it is].
On the other hand I've seen some issues. I use it on my laptop; I
don't trust it yet for my workstation.

Snapper is the hot feature of openSUSE 12.1 and even SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 11 SP 2. See Greg and Matthias demo show at
Brainshare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7e6BcI5Fo#t=170

Snapper and BTRFS snapshot integration is indeed awesome. Needs much
better documentation.

c) We'll make us of this with Samba
And to put more cream on top of it we're working on offering access to
the btrfs snapshots via Samba to Microsoft Windows users. All a user of
a Samba share has to do at the end is a right cklick on the folder in a
Microsoft Explorer window and from the properties window you'll have
access to the btrfs snapshots like you're able to access native
Microsoft Shadow Copy snapshots. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy if you havn't used this before.

Note that this is *future tense*.