Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:45:22 +0100
On Sat, 2011-12-10 at 21:36 -0600, Duaine Hechler wrote:

Example, the bank I currently with - has my mortgage, bank accounts and
credit cards - associated all together. Their
online banking had several problems with Firefox (under Linux) and I called
their support and read them a riot act,
stating that if that don't fix this problem, I'm moving my accounts to
another bank, And going to tell everyone I see to
boycott this bank. Thankfully, they sad that they were aware of the problem -
and is was some crap involving MS & IE &
Java and that it would just take MORE time to figure out because of the
changes MS keeps making to IE & Java. AND, of
course, we all know that they really don't support (or don't want to support)
Linux in any way. It was only a problem
within Firefox & Java.

It is probably more that their developers do not know the difference
between a standard and a Microsoft implementation. I suspect they
confuse the two. MS are not changing the browser standards. They are
simply finally starting to follow the standards. Time for web developers
to unlearn all those MS-only hacks. MS' goal is that they will no longer
be supported. It is about time.

It is surely a slow process as so many MS-crap-implementations of IE are
still out there. So the MS hacks will remain until enough people update
to a new IE.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST