Re: [opensuse] Re: Ereaders - Was: Clinging to Microsoft
On 12/11/2011 02:03 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 12/10/2011 7:20 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
3) My Kobo ebook will only update from Windows. There is an experimental
Ubuntu software, so I may be forced to install Ubuntu on
another partition or a VM. The devs said they do not intend to support
more than one distro, and the chose Ubuntu.
Are you talking about a software update to the Kobo, or just putting books on
it.

For the latter, Calibre is the way to go.

For the Former, its probably like most readers, gets a few updates when new
then, it is frozen and never gets another. I've used VMwarePlayer for that
on my nook, but my nook is first edition, and will probably never see another
upgrade.

Sorry if I've missed most of the conversation, but I need win functionality
occasionally too. So every install where I might need it -- also gets a vbox
install as well. It is so darn easy just to copy the .vdi over, there is really
no reason to not go that route if you really need it. (yes you can go 32bit ->
64bit, it just takes more editing) Also .vdi expansion is now trivial in vbox.
If you have a 8G install and then find out you need a 40G install, just:

(1) Use VirtualBox to create a (vdi) new_hard_disk.vdi with your desired size.

(2) VBoxManage clonehd old_hard_disk.vdi new_hard_disk.vdi --existing

and then boot from new_hard_disk.vdi.

If you want another ubuntu or arch install or whatever, just create another
virtual machine in vbox (or your favorite virtual environment) Problem solved...

Right now, the only offending apps I have are for the phone (apple [my next will
run a more open OS]), and then tax and accounting software.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.