Re: [opensuse] Re: YaST lilo support

On 2011-12-09 16:46, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Then, it is difficult to tell newcomers for which legacy grub fails to
try lilo instead.

Yep. Does it happen a lot?

A lot, no. Now and then. About once a week, maybe less, maybe more, I
haven't counted. There is a forum dedicated to install, boot and login
problems, so we do see a lot more questions than you get in the mail lists.
Over 20 thousand questions in two years in this subforum alone.

Also, there are the people with EFI and/or GPT partitions...

Do they cause any issues? (the partitions, not the people). About a
year ago, I remember testing a WD 3Tb disk, GPT required, worked well
with lilo.

Yes.

Searching on the subject line only (I can not search contents via nntp with
thunderbird), I find two from October:

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=466077
install to 3tb hdd

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=466660
Expert partitioning with /boot/efi and GPT disk label

December:

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469327
EFI Boot Splash missing
(this one is actually using elilo, but on a MacBook Air)

Older posts:

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=448105
EFI installation help

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435580
Re: status of UEFI support?

Related, problems ahead:

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=466910
Possible GRUB Problem. Trouble coming for Linux with UEFI and Windows 8???

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=465604
Microsoft confirms that UEFI 'secure boot' might lock out Linux from new PC's

And that's searching subject lines only; you know there are people that say
in the tittle as little as "does not work" and let you figure out the problem.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)